macosx_deployment_target - building for previous versions from MacOS 10.13

Friedrich Beckmann friedrich.beckmann at gmx.de
Fri Sep 4 10:53:33 UTC 2020

Hi Ryan,

thank you very much for your detailed analysis! I only need the deployment target because I want to build a bundle that can be installed without macports. And as you say there are probably not many who try to do this.

I just figured out that ncurses indeed does not build for deployment target 10.5 because macports or whoever sets the CXXFLAGS to

:debug:configure CXXFLAGS='-pipe -Os -stdlib=libc++ -arch x86_64 -arch i386‘

which results in

:info:configure checking if /usr/bin/clang++ works... no
:info:configure configure: WARNING: Ignore /usr/bin/clang++, since it cannot compile hello-world.
:info:configure configure: WARNING: You don't have any C++ compiler, too bad

because the 10.5 and libc++ does not fit as you say. When I install the port with

port -v install ncurses configure.cxx_stdlib="libstdc++“

then I can install ncurses (MacOS 10.13 with XCode 10.1).

When I try to compile icu with this setting to go further down then I hit the c++11 problem that you mention below (not compatible with libstdc++).

This is all without the sdk problem you mention. However Tero tried the bundle targeted for 10.8 on 10.9 and 10.11 and that worked. That was a x86_64 only (not universal).

Thanks!

Friedrich