ImageMagick port outdated

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Sep 26 01:00:56 UTC 2020

On Sep 25, 2020, at 10:40, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> I was seeking for a means to convert Apples new HEIC/HEIF format to more traditional formats and I always remembered  ImageMagick being a good choice for that.
> Unfortunately the macports version is quite outdated.
> 6.9.11-29
>
> vs. 7.0.10-30 being the latest.
>
> How can I get a newer version via macports?

Since I'm the maintainer of the ImageMagick port I should probably respond.

The ImageMagick port currently follows ImageMagick 6. As such, it is not very outdated. It's at version 6.9.11-29 and the current version is 6.9.11-30. I update the port several times a month, as seen here:

https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commits/master/graphics/ImageMagick/Portfile

We should offer ImageMagick 7 in addition to ImageMagick 6 but I have not begun work on doing that. Since ImageMagick 6 will be supported until 2027 I have not felt an urgency to work on that.

Our ImageMagick 6 port is supposed to support HEIC/HEIF. If it's not working for you, show us what you're doing, what result you're getting, and what result you were expecting to get.