Update on Big Sur Problems

Marius Schamschula lists at schamschula.com
Sun Apr 18 21:49:05 UTC 2021

Indeed, I have not built Atlas for any recent version of macOS due the reason Joshua brings up: Atlas is not compatible with kernel micro-sleep. Atlas cannot determine accurate timing, and thus its optimizations are inaccurate.

The port has not been updated for this very reason see https://trac.macports.org/ticket/54342 <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/54342>  (June 2017)

The bottomline: Atlas only works with older versions of macOS. There is absolutely no point in building it under Big Sur (or Catalina, Mojave…)!

> On Apr 18, 2021, at 1:27 PM, Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> wrote:
>
> Christopher Jones wrote:
>> your basic issue is you are enabling by default the gcc5 variant, i.e. you get
>> pmm:~ pet$ port variants atlas
>> atlas has the variants:
>> gcc49: build using macports-gcc-4.9
>>   * conflicts with gcc5 mpclang37 perf
>> [+]gcc5: build using macports-gcc-5
>>   * conflicts with gcc49 mpclang37 perf
>> mpclang37: use mp-clang-3.7 and gfortran
>>   * conflicts with gcc49 gcc5 perf
>> nofortran: Forgo use of fortran compiler
>> universal: Build for multiple architectures
>> see the [+] against it above….
>> This is not normal, i.e. I get
>> Oberon ~/Projects/MacPorts/ports > port variants atlas
>> atlas has the variants:
>>   gcc49: build using macports-gcc-4.9
>>     * conflicts with gcc5 mpclang37 perf
>>   gcc5: build using macports-gcc-5
>>     * conflicts with gcc49 mpclang37 perf
>>   mpclang37: use mp-clang-3.7 and gfortran
>>     * conflicts with gcc49 gcc5 perf
>>   nofortran: Forgo use of fortran compiler
>> Something specific in *your* setup is causing this, and you need to figure out what it is and remove it.
>
> AFAICT, this would happen for all users on arm64. <https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/blob/master/math/atlas/Portfile#L154-L159>
>
> Be aware however that last I saw, the atlas maintainer didn't think there had been any recent upstream development of this software, and the auto-tuning that is the main point of atlas didn't work on any recent macOS versions. I don't know if it's even possible to build atlas on arm64, but if it's possible, it's probably not worth it.
>
> If it doesn't work, it should set supported_archs and/or known_fail appropriately, of course.
>
> - Josh

Marius
--
Marius Schamschula