macOS 11 Big Sur and MacPorts

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 21:25:35 UTC 2021

> On 30 Aug 2021, at 6:30 am, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
>>> Thanks for the heads-up; I think my MacBook Pro will be stuck forever on Sierra 10.12.6 (although admittedly I haven't tried High Sierra on this one) and MacPorts 2.6.3 is likely as far as it will go.
>
> I successfully installed High Sierra; I needed it to drive a multi-function printer that I acquired.

The pressures that prompt us to upgrade the O/S… :-)

FWIW I have been on High Sierra for ages, but a few days ago I was unable to upload a PDF document to a certain Australian Government website, with severe financial penalties if I failed to provide the document within 3 weeks. Apple's Telephone Support and I figured out a workaround (an image of the document in JPG format), but their chief recommendation was to upgrade to Mojave, Catalina or Big Sur, to take advantage of major upgrades to Safari… Actually I use Firefox, but I think it has to go via Safari for some functions… I had to temporarily switch to Safari to prove to Apple Support that the problem is not in Firefox.

Cheers,
Ian Wadham.