python ports depend on openssl not in index

SeaQuench seaquench at protonmail.com
Thu Dec 9 18:53:20 UTC 2021

After applying an update to MacOS last August, the python ports are reporting a dependency on either openssl11 or openssl3, neither of which are to be found in the (local?) index for MacPorts, according to the error I have received, copied below. While I am prompted to report a bug, I presume I am not in a novel situation. Could someone advise me as to how to proceed? I am running MacPorts 2.6.2 on MacOS 10.15.7 with XCode 12.4 installed.
$ sudo port install python39

> Warning: No port openssl3 found in the index.
> ---> Computing dependencies for openssl
> Error: Dependency 'openssl3' not found.
> Error: Unable to execute port: upgrade openssl failed

$ sudo port install openssl

> ---> Computing dependencies for openssl
> Error: Dependency 'openssl3' not found.
> Error: Follow https://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets to report a bug.
> Error: Processing of port openssl failed

$ sudo port -n upgrade --force python38