MacPorts bash on Big Sur as default shell

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Thu Feb 11 23:14:07 UTC 2021

I'd add that AS LONG AS you have a separate admin and user account, you can do anything you please to your user account; but best to leave settings for the admin account as close to system default as possible; that way you minimize the risk of locking yourself out in the event that an OS update doesn't play nice with what you've done to your own account. Also, if you have root enabled, don't give it non-default settings, just to be safe.

In event of a major OS upgrade, dependencies on MacPorts may break until it is re-installed for the new OS version...which may not be immediately possible, esp. for early updaters to the new OS version.