macOS 11.1 SDK does not appear to be installed

Todd Doucet ttd at lambentresearch.com
Fri Feb 12 01:32:44 UTC 2021

> On Feb 11, 2021, at 18:47, Todd Doucet wrote:
>
> > You can see that there are two SDKs here, including the one that you expect, and the name MacOSX.sdk links to it too:
> >
> > % ls -l /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs
> >
> > lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   14 Feb  6 16:23 MacOSX.sdk -> MacOSX11.1.sdk
> > drwxr-xr-x  8 root  wheel  256 Jul  9  2020 MacOSX10.15.sdk
> > drwxr-xr-x  7 root  wheel  224 Nov 30 07:33 MacOSX11.1.sdk
>
> This looks normal to me. As far as I can tell, it is normal for the Xcode 12.4 command line tools installer to give you both the 10.15 SDK and the 11.1 SDK. Apple has changed their mind a few times about whether Xcode and the CLT provide only the latest OS SDK or both the latest OS SDK and the previous OS SDK, but right now they appear to be providing both latest and previous.
>

> > I am not sure which package receipt specifically is important, but I have these:
> >
> > % pkgutil --pkgs | grep -i cltool
> > com.apple.pkg.CLTools_Executables
> > com.apple.pkg.CLTools_SDK_macOS110
> > com.apple.pkg.CLTools_SDK_macOS1015
> > com.apple.pkg.CLTools_macOS_SDK
>
> The first one is the one that MacPorts checks for (on 10.9 and later; on earlier OS versions it has different names) and the one that we believe Apple's software update checks for. You can verify which version of the CLT you have by running:
>
> pkgutil --pkg-info=com.apple.pkg.CLTools_Executables | grep version
>

> > This machine is about one week old.  One of the very first things I did was type 'git' to the shell, which caused macOS to offer to install the Command Line Tools.  I said yes, and was happily using git and the compilers and other tools for several days.
> >
> > Then later, when I decided to install MacPorts, I read that Xcode is required so I installed that.  When I ran Xcode once, Xcode itself offered to install Command Line Tools (or maybe it was during the installation process--not sure).  Anyway, I said yes again and still had command line tools.  And Xcode version 12.4 (12D4e) too.
>
> I do not believe that Xcode offered you to install the CLT; I have never known Xcode to do that. Xcode does ask you about installing additional components when it is first opened, and if you do not allow it, Xcode quits, so you probably allowed it. But "additional components" and "command line tools" are unrelated things.

Yes, you are correct.  I remembered my interpretation of what it said, but not what it said ("additional components") until you reminded me!

> > My conclusion is that I probably have what I am supposed to have.  If you think otherwise, please let me know.
>
> You stated you are running macOS 11.1, and you appear to have the 11.1 SDK. Therefore I cannot explain why you are seeing the warning.

I am looking at the About This Mac box and it says Version 11.1.  And for completeness:

% pkgutil --pkg-info=com.apple.pkg.CLTools_Executables | grep version

version: 12.4.0.0.1.1610135815

So I guess there is still a bit of a mystery.  If I get some time I will try to build the new MacPorts from source and see if there is still a warning.  (I presently do not rely on MacPorts for mainline code and it is very easy for me to nuke it and do a quick reinstall.)