Build servers going offline due to inclement weather

Bill Cole macportsusers-20171215 at billmail.scconsult.com
Wed Feb 17 06:21:22 UTC 2021

On 16 Feb 2021, at 22:01, Peter West wrote:

> Hi Ryan,
>
> That’s interesting about the natural gas supplies.  I’m surprised
> that Texas does not have even two days worth of gas in storage. Maybe
> that had all been sold to Mexico. Considering that Russia supplies
> (from Siberia) significant quantities of natural gas to Europe, with
> plans for a doubling of the Nord Stream pipelines, they obviously have
> more experience in keeping gas flowing in freezing conditions. The
> Nord Stream pipelines do go under water, but the gas has to get to
> them.

If you *plan* for supplying gas and operating power plants (which need
non-frozen water) in absurdly cold conditions, it is not hard to do,
although it does cost money to implement. After all, people do live in
Canada and the northern tier of the US, and both the wind turbines and
the gas plants are running just fine in Minnesota.  No one ever planned
for essentially all of Texas pl,us adjacent areas south and east to be
as cold as it has been for the past week. There are also quirks of the
way Texas has (not) regulated the energy sector that have encouraged
minimizing prices in normal times, at the cost of the whole system
collapsing in a cold snap.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org