Unable to load nib file / Problem with CompileXIB

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jan 12 01:46:20 UTC 2021

On Jan 11, 2021, at 09:41, Janosch Peters wrote:

> I am struggling to create working port file for sparkle(https://github.com/sparkle-project/Sparkle). All targets contained in the Xcode project are building with no errors but when I build & install sparkle via macports and start the „Sparkle Test App“ app bundle I get this:
>
> 2021-01-11 16:22:56.277 Sparkle Test App[66399:870691] Unable to load nib file: MainMenu, exiting
>
> I do not get this error if I run the same app bundle built from Xcode. I noticed there is a difference between those app bundles. Whereas the macports bundle looks like this:
>
> Contents
>  |__ Resources
> 		|__<locale>.lproj
> 				|__InfoPlist.strings
>

> The Xcode app bundle looks like this:
>
> Contents
>  |__ Resources
> 		|__<locale>.lproj
> 				|__MainMenu.string
>

> I have very limited Xcode experience but for me it looks like that the missing MainMenu.string could be the problem. I also noticed that the CompileXIB command is different between Xcode and macports. See [1] and [2] attached. Is there a way to make MacPorts use a command like [2] instead of [1]?

It might help if you attach or provide a link to your WIP portfile so that we can try it out.

Also, how do you envision a sparkle port being useful in MacPorts? Being an automatic update framework, the way someone would usually use sparkle is by incorporating it into their own project's source code. That's how we normally encounter sparkle in MacPorts, and then we have to expend some effort in figuring out how to remove sparkle from that project, since we don't want that functionality in ports installed by MacPorts. (MacPorts, not the project itself via sparkle, is responsible for updating things.)