odd problem trying to use Macports ...

raf macports at raf.org
Tue Jan 12 06:34:37 UTC 2021

On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 10:50:47AM +1100, raf <macports at raf.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 05:36:21PM -0600, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>
> > On Dec 30, 2020, at 17:10, raf wrote:
> >
> > >  Error: Error installing new MacPorts base: command execution failed
> > >  Please run `port -v selfupdate` for details.
> > >  Error: /opt/local/bin/port: port selfupdate failed: Error installing new MacPorts base: command execution failed
> > >
> > >  (it was "configure: error: no configure found in vendor/tcl/unix")
> >
> > Many years ago now, we made a change to how we distribute MacPorts
> > via rsync, which inadvertently caused selfupdates to break in this
> > manner. We never resolved the issue because users worked around it by
> > installing the latest MacPorts using the installer you can download
> > from our web site, which is how you should fix it as well.
> >
> > MacPorts is designed with the assumption that you will selfupdate
> > and update your ports at least once a year. Not doing so will likely
> > result in greater difficulties when you eventually do update, because
> > we start removing port upgrade paths after they have been in place
> > for a year. Base upgrade paths should stay in place for many years
> > however; we try not to remove the ability to selfupdate base unless we
> > absolutely have to.
>
> Thanks. I'll do that.

I treated this like a migration, recorded and uninstalled existing ports,
then installed/upgraded macports, and then restored the ports.

  Mac OS X 10.6 (darwin/10.8.0) arch i386
  MacPorts 2.6.4
  Xcode 3.2.6
  SDK 10.6
  MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET: 10.6

I'm having some trouble. I'm getting errors with several ports:

  daemon:
     unrecognized command line option "-Wno-gnu-folding-constant"
  tk:
    invalid operands to binary expression ('id' and 'double')
  MacVim:
     MacVim only runs on OS X 10.8 or greater
    (Used to work on 10.6. Tragic! I'll have to compile that myself)
  dirac:
    non-constant-expression cannot be narrowed from type 'int' to 'dirac::ValueType' (aka 'short') in initializer list [-Wc++11-narrowing]
  wxWidgets-2.8
    non-constant-expression cannot be narrowed from type 'short' to 'CGFloat' (aka 'float') in initializer list [-Wc++11-narrowing]
    non-constant-expression cannot be narrowed from type 'FontFamilyID' (aka 'short') to 'UInt32' (aka 'unsigned long') in initializer list [-Wc++11-narrowing]
  openjade:
    ISO C++11 does not allow access declarations; use using declarations instead

Should I file bug reports for all of these (apart from MacVim)?

Another openjade/tk error is:

  Error: Requested variants "+x11" do not match those the build was started with: "+quartz".
  Error: Please use the same variants again, or run 'port clean tk' first to remove the existing partially completed build.

I didn't specify any variants for those. They're not requested ports.

I wrote daemon, so I want to fix that myself. Can anyone tell me
how to tell, from a shell script, whether or not the compiler
supports -Wno-gnu-folding-constant? Or should I just not include
it on macos? I suppose I should just try to run gcc with it. :-)
I'll do that.

cheers,
raf