apache2 IPv6 Big Sur

Steve Wardle steve at swid.co.uk
Tue Jan 12 08:31:08 UTC 2021

> On 12 Jan 2021, at 01:37, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>

> On Jan 9, 2021, at 12:16, Steve Wardle wrote:
>
>> I’ve got apache2 2.4.46 running on Big Sur 11.1 and it’s not listening on the IPv6 interfaces. I’m sure this was working last year and it would help to know if it’s a general apache2 2.4.46 issue or confined to Big Sur or maybe just my system.
>
> I haven't heard of any such issues but am not necessarily in the loop. You might ask in an Apache support venue.

I did a bit more digging on my system yesterday.
The Apple supplied apache is the same version and does listen on IPv4 and IPv6.

/usr/sbin/apachectl -V

Server compiled with....
 -D APR_HAS_SENDFILE
 -D APR_HAS_MMAP
 -D APR_HAVE_IPV6 (IPv4-mapped addresses enabled)
 -D APR_USE_FLOCK_SERIALIZE
 -D APR_USE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZE

/opt/local/sbin/apachectl -V

Server compiled with....
 -D APR_HAS_SENDFILE
 -D APR_HAS_MMAP
 -D APR_USE_SYSVSEM_SERIALIZE
 -D APR_USE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZE

macports apache was working with IPv6 on Catalina. I only found out about the failure because the certbot validators attempt to use an IPv6 address for https if there’s a domain AAAA record and don’t fall back to trying the A record.

Steve