Kernel panic when trying to install git dependency p5.28-mozilla-ca

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jan 17 05:48:34 UTC 2021

On Jan 16, 2021, at 17:05, Kennedy, Smith (Wireless & IPP Standards) wrote:

> Did the update to BigSur last week on my MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports), then tried to do my usual routine whenever there is an OS major version update:
>
> A. Delete /opt with a "sudo rm -rf /opt"
> B. Install latest version of Xcode and MacPorts
> C. Run my "macportsup" script with the "--reinstall" option that will reinstall all previously installed requested ports listed in the most recent log file produced by the last run of that script.
>
> The most significant problem I experienced was witnessing a _kernel panic_ whenever I try to install the "git" port. The KP occurs at the point when the "p5.28-mozilla-ca" port dependency has been downloaded and is starting to install - the screen goes black and I'm invited to hit any key to restart. A "Problem Report" is presented once I restart. I've looked at these reports when I hit space and restart, but don't see anything obviously pointing back to MacPorts.
>
> But I'm pretty alarmed that somehow installing a port can KP my system. I've tried disabling some accessory software (Little Snitch, Karabiner Elements, TunnelBlick) but I can still KP the system even when those are disabled. And I don't understand what the "p5.28-mozilla-ca" port could be doing. I'm not a MacPorts developer and while I could start peeling the onion on what exactly the port is doing, I'd rather that someone else do that.
>
> Anybody else KP'ed their system installing a port on BigSur?

Yes, several other users have reported this bug in Big Sur. It is tracked here:

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/61683

A kernel panic is a bug in the operating system. You should report it to the operating system vendor so that they can fix it.

> p.s. I was also unable to do a "sudo rm -rf /opt". Removing the macports user and group as per https://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.macports.uninstalling.html mostly resolved this issue.

Great, then there's no issue. :)

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/42207