Desolate Condition

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Tue Jan 26 18:32:09 UTC 2021

> On Jan 26, 2021, at 12:02 PM, Tom <thomas.bodlien at web.de> wrote:
>
> I am using Big Sur 11.1
> Which macOS are you using?
> I am installing new ports.
>
> tom at Toms-Mac-Pro ~ % port diagnose
> Warning: No Xcode version info was found for your OS version.
> Warning: found dylibs in your /usr/local/lib directory. These are known to cause problems. We'd recommend  you remove them.
>
> tom at Toms-Mac-Pro ~ % ls -l /usr/local/lib
> total 2088
> drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel       96 Nov 20 22:29 docker
> drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel       96 Apr 28  2020 dtrace
> -rw-r--r--@ 1 root  wheel  1064880 Oct 16  2015 libgmp.a
> -rwxr-xr-x@ 1 root  wheel      864 Oct 16  2015 libgmp.la <http://libgmp.la/>
> drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel       96 Apr 29  2020 node_modules
> drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel       64 Dec  2 21:42 pkgconfig
>
> I tried to build for example: FreeCAD, Wine-Crossover, virt-manager, Kopete, qt4-mac, Gnome, KDE, GNUStep

The first issue is Xcode; it must be installed.  You must also agree to the Xcode license.  See:

https://www.macports.org/install.php

Next, it is impossible to predict if the things you have installed in /usr/local/lib will conflict or not.  But if you have an install failure, if can waste a lot of time if that turns out to be the problem.  I suggest (strongly) that you at least temporarily rename that directory while installing with MacPorts.

Big Sur may be another issue.  It is still quite new and changed enough things that it caused some of our ports to break.  Do you have an Intel or ARM Mac?  More details of Big Sur issues at:

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/BigSurProblems <https://trac.macports.org/wiki/BigSurProblems>

Finally, it appears that some o the ports you are trying to install may be broken at present.  Taking the first one you listed, FreeCAD, there is an open support ticket that might be the problem you are experiencing:

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/60039

Basically, FreeCAD depends on boost.  Boost was changed last year to default to a Python version that is incompatible with with FreeCAD.  However boost can be installed with an appropriate version.  Try:

sudo port clean freecad
sudo port install boost +python27
sudo port install freecad

If that still fails, the error messages will tell you where to find “main.log” which should identify the actual issue.

HTH,

Craig