CACKey_0.7.8_Slandup.pkg installation fails

Bill Cole macportsusers-20171215 at billmail.scconsult.com
Wed Jul 21 22:34:57 UTC 2021

On 2021-07-21 at 15:59:32 UTC-0400 (Wed, 21 Jul 2021 13:59:32 -0600)
Tao Zhang <tao.zhang at colorado.edu>
is rumored to have said:

> Hi,
>
>  I am installing "CACKey_0.7.8_Slandup.pkg" CACKey package.

That's not a MacPorts package. You are unlikely to find much help from
this mailing list.

> It failed with the following information:
>
> "The installation failed. The installer encountered an error that
> caused the installation to fail.
>
> Contact the software manufacturer for assistance."

You should do that.

The home site for that software appears to be  https://cackey.rkeene.org

> I just checked two directories in my Mac (OS 10.14.6) "/usr/local/lib"
> and "/Library",

MacPorts ports avoid installing anything in either of those directories.
With very few exceptions, MacPorts installs software under /opt/local/
and not in any standard macOS directories to avoid entanglement with
system software.

> There are two folders "pkcs11" and "CACKey" that are created today
> (7/21). I can not access these two folders because
>
> the owner is macports.

That is very strange. You should contact the developer about that, and
find out if the package is intended to install files owned by 'macports'
or if that is some sort of accident. It is possible for software to
install itself under a numeric user ID that accidentally collides with
the macports user.

>  I am wondering whether the above issues cause the failure of
> installation of "CACKey_0.7.8_Slandup.pkg"?
>
> May I remove those two folders "pkcs11" and "CACKey"? How can I remove
> them or How can I change the owner?

'sudo chown <your username> <file or folder name>' should do the job.

Whether that's a solution to your problem or just a way to make it
worse, I have no idea.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org