zathura install but fails with libjson.5.dylib not found

Uli Wienands wienands at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 03:58:53 UTC 2021

I got zathura to install (and it rebuilt even through it seem like there
should have been a binary). Then got the pdf -poppler plugin needed to
actually decode pdf files.

My problem is that zathura does not start up but bombs with libjson-c.5
not found. Her is the error message. Note there is no specific log.

  The error occurs early on, before X11 is fired up.

ulis-mbp-2:Documents uli$ zathura
dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libjson-c.5.dylib
   Referenced from: /opt/local/lib/libgirara-gtk3.3.dylib
   Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap

I have libjson-c.3.dylib.

This is on OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard).

zathura installed on a 10.11 system just fine.

libjson is not an installable piece in MacPorts. So how do I proceed?

Uli