apache doc folder permissions problem

Bjarne D Mathiesen macintosh at mathiesen.info
Mon Jun 21 16:32:32 UTC 2021

Bill Cole wrote:
> On 2021-06-18 at 14:33:43 UTC-0400 (Fri, 18 Jun 2021 14:33:43 -0400)
> Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com>
>> With macOS 11.4 at least, the command
>>
>>     chmod a-r /Users
>>
>> and even
>>
>>     sudo chmod a-r /Users
>>
>> gives error "chmod: Unable to change file mode on /Users: Operation
>> not permitted”.
>
> Which indicates that Apple has decided to add /Users to the creeping
> expanse of files and directories behind the Iron Curtain of SIP.
> Consider yourself Protected.
>
>> (By contrast, making the change for /Users/me and /Users/me/Sites is OK.)
>
> I guess they are waiting for OS 12 to lock those down...

You can get around this problem by moving the user out from /Users

In DiskUtil you can create a new unit in the APFS container for the user
(me) . Then do :
sudo chown me:staff /Volumes/me
sudo chown 0751 /Volume/me
sudo rsync -avH /Users/me/ /Volumes/me
sudo rm -rf /Users/me
sudo dscl . -create Users/me NFSHomeDirectory /Volumes/me

Personally, I don't have any users in /Users - they all have their own
/Volumes/<username>

--
Bjarne D Mathiesen
Korsør ; Danmark ; Europa