Clean install of Big Sur and MacPorts but old Xcode

ChrisF chris at unwired.co.nz
Fri Jun 25 21:39:44 UTC 2021

I've upgraded to Big Sur (11.4) using a clean install followed by a
restore of all users( except MacPorts) from a Time Machine backup. I
also restored apps.

When I went do a clean install of MacPorts I saw that XCode was still
present in Applications, had a bit of a brain fade and assumed that it
had been updated like the other Apple apps, and went ahead an installed
MacPorts without further ado. (I have not installed any ports yet.)

So now I think I have MacPorts linked to a 10.x version of XCode. I've
downloaded the latest version of XCode from the App Store, and I was
just about to uninstall MacPorts  when I read the first para of 2.4 of
the User Guide, which suggests that I seek advice here.

So, do I need to completely uninstall and reinstall MacPorts or is there
an easier path to a reliable MacPorts?