Why don't p5-* ports mark their dependencies?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jun 25 22:46:13 UTC 2021

On Jun 12, 2021, at 12:39, Kastus Shchuka wrote:

>> sudo port upgrade --enforce-variants git -perl5_28 +perl5_30
>
> Thank you, that worked and allowed me to uninstall all p5.28 modules.
>
> What puzzles me still, why port info shows that git depends on perl 5.28 modules:
>
> $ port info git
> git @2.32.0 (devel)
> Variants:             [+]credential_osxkeychain, [+]diff_highlight, [+]doc, gitweb, [+]pcre, perl5_26, [+]perl5_28,
>                      perl5_30, python, svn, universal

>                      efficiency.
> Homepage:             https://git-scm.com/
>
> Extract Dependencies: xz
> Library Dependencies: perl5.28, curl, zlib, openssl, expat, libiconv, pcre2
> Runtime Dependencies: p5.28-authen-sasl, p5.28-error, p5.28-net-smtp-ssl, p5.28-term-readkey, p5.28-cgi, rsync
> Platforms:            darwin
> License:              GPL-2 and LGPL-2.1+
> Maintainers:          Email: ciserlohn at macports.org, GitHub: ci42
>                      Policy: openmaintainer
> $ port installed and git
> The following ports are currently installed:
>  git @2.31.1_2+credential_osxkeychain+diff_highlight+doc+pcre+perl5_30
>  git @2.32.0_0+credential_osxkeychain+diff_highlight+doc+pcre+perl5_30 (active)

Because git, with its default perl5_28 variant, does depend on p5.28 modules.

"port info" does not take into account the variants you have selected when installing the port. Rather, it shows you the info of the port with its default variants. If you want to see the info with a different set of variants you can specify them, e.g. "port info git +perl5_30"