MacPorts and /opt/local on Catalina and Big Sur read only volumes

Tabitha McNerney tabithamc at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 02:03:23 UTC 2021

On a fresh Catalina or Big Sure system, if you cd to root / then sudo then
try mkdir /opt or something else such as mkdir /hello the system won't
allow it, I get this:

mkdir: /hello: Read-only file system

note: the MacBook I just tried this on also has FileVault enabled and its
got one of those Apple T2 chips with a touch bar

How does the MacPorts Catalina or Big Sur pkg installer work around this
restriction?