Apple notarisation process - LC_VERSION_MIN_MACOSX

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Fri Mar 5 12:14:24 UTC 2021

On 05/03/2021 04.43, Ken Cunningham wrote:
> Apple is not using LC_VERSION_MIN_MACOSX any longer, as at least one helpful
> person pointed out. So — we will never “fix” the problem of this not being
> added, as it is — gone, it appears.
>
> See https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/127450
> <https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/127450> and other links.

There was a separate load command for the minimum version of each platform:
 - LC_VERSION_MIN_MACOSX
 - LC_VERSION_MIN_IPHONEOS
 - LC_VERSION_MIN_WATCHOS
 - LC_VERSION_MIN_TVOS
They have been replaced with LC_BUILD_VERSION, which encodes both the platform
and the minimum required version.

If your binary does not have LC_VERSION_MIN_MACOSX, it will have
LC_BUILD_VERSION instead. This is the same information, just encoded
differently. You should be able to decode this with `otool -l`.

Rainer