Build servers offline due to failed SSD

John Chivian jchivian at chivian.com
Mon Mar 8 00:30:14 UTC 2021

The “on/off” switches in SSD’s are fragile and essentially break after too many read/write cycles.  As pointed out, it’s a get what you pay for world and cheap SSD’s are just that… cheap.   The expensive ones are more reliable because they actually make available only a portion of their total capacity, reserving the rest as replacements for such failures.  Intelligent software within the firmware manages this so that the end user experiences a much longer device lifespan.

There’s lots of technical documentation for such.  Google knows.

Regards,