migration hickup

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Mon Mar 8 20:01:24 UTC 2021

On 08/03/2021 17.44, joerg van den hoff wrote:
> Now, after the data transfer completed, on the new machine I do have a
> (seemingly/so far) working Macports installation: Migration Assistant actually
> transferred the stuff in /opt, too.
>
> BUT, when now trying to selfupdate on the new machine, I get the message/warning:
>
> Warning: Failed to copy com.apple.dt.Xcode.plist to
> /opt/local/var/macports/home/Library/Preferences: could not set owner for file
> "/opt/local/var/macports/home/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dt.Xcode.plist":
> user "macports" does not exist
>
> although `finger macports' reports for the new machine that the user is known
>
> Login: macports                   Name: MacPorts
> Directory: /opt/local/var/macports/home    Shell: /usr/bin/false
> Never logged in.
> No Mail.
> No Plan.
>
> as does `id macports'.
>
> what am I missing?

I am not sure, but it might be that the message shown above is a bit inaccurate
and it is the "macports" group that is missing?

Please check that the user and group do exist for dscl (Directory Services):

  dscl . -read /Users/macports
  dscl . -read /Groups/macports

In any case, running the MacPorts install either from the .dmg or from source
once again should recreate both the user and group named "macports".

Rainer