Build servers offline due to failed SSD

Dave C davec2468 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 8 21:53:12 UTC 2021

Old technology drives use magnetism to hold bits. This works for decades, or so I’ve read. Usually the motor or bearings die before the magnetic medium fails.

Solid State Drives use memory chips to hold bits. These “bit holders” can wear out after a few trillion transitions (changing from 1 to 0 and 0 to 1). I’d you’re using it in your laptop or PC, you’ll likely have no problems for many years. In an internet-connected server, you may exceed those maximum write cycles sooner rather than later.

Dave

- - -