migration hickup

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Mar 9 17:41:09 UTC 2021

On Mar 9, 2021, at 11:34, joerg van den hoff wrote:

> so I find this strange: seemingly everything is just fine (macports user and its home dir exists etc.) but I get that "cannot change owner: no macports user" warning nonetheless. so this looks like OSX had not a consistent view of the state of affairs across different utilities at that point? notably `dscl' knowing that user is not sufficient? what, then, is the reliable/correct way to decide whether a user account "really" exists? but whatever ...

I'm sorry, I don't know and I can't completely explain what you've observed.

No need to recall anything since it's documented in https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration. That document is geared toward migrating from one OS version or architecture to another, but it could be enhanced to address the case of migrating from one machine to another while keeping the same OS version and architecture. If you'd like to make those enhancements feel free; anyone can edit the wiki.