"port install meld" does not yield working executable

joerg van den hoff veedeehjay at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 12:47:40 UTC 2021

On 17.03.21 13:16, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Mar 17, 2021, at 07:04, joerg van den hoff wrote:
>
>> and sadly even `sudo port -ns upgrade --force meld)' does not solve the problem...
>>
>> too bad. but I appreciate your help. at least I now understand where approximately the problem is located ...
>

> According to
>
> https://developer.gnome.org/programming-guidelines/stable/introspection.html.en#using-introspection
>
> a build of software using gobject-introspection "should result in a .gir and .typelib file being generated for the project. The .gir file is human readable, and can be inspected manually to see if the API has been introspected correctly". I infer that the typelib, therefore, is the same data but in a machine-readable format. That explains my confusion earlier about what was meant by the message "referenced by the typelib". It also explains why editing the installed gir file does nothing: you would need to make the same change in the binary typelib file before it takes effect, and depending on how the file is structured that may not be feasible. The real solution of course is to get gobject-introspection to generate these files correctly in the first place. Did you try recompiling

understood.

gtksourceview4 (sudo port -ns upgrade --force gtksourceview4) to see if that would happen then? If
so, that suggests we just need to revbump gtksourceview4 and other affected ports. If not, then it
suggests we need to fix gobject-introspection.

I uninstalled/reinstalled that port before and now retried with the above command: still no luck.
problem stubbornly refuses to go away...