cMP w/ 256 GB RAM

Bjarne D Mathiesen macintosh at mathiesen.info
Fri Mar 26 19:04:52 UTC 2021

Ken Cunningham wrote:
> My own pair of classic MacPros are set up in a similar way. I find it a very impressive and flexible setup indeed.
>
> I have the MacPros running the current BigSur, and they can multi-boot to 10.15, 10.14, 10.6, and 10.5. The more powerful system also boots into Windows10, where the new FlightSim 2020 rules.

I've got the primary 10.15 on a PCIe SSD
The OpenCore EFI is also on the PCIe SSD

The 500 GB parts of the 4 TB HDs contain copies of both 10.15 & 10.14
(latest supported by Apple). I'm using CarbonCopyCloner to backup the
SSD 10.15 to the two 4 TB HDs.

Problem with OpenCore & Metal GPUs is if something goes seriously wrong,
you have to :
- replace the RAM modules with some macOS likes (eg 16 GB to each CPU)
- re-insert the original GPU
- pull the RAIDZ1 HDs (partially) out
- boot from the external FireWire HD

Actually, at present I've only got 1 x 4 TB HD in the DVD tray bay: the
second one crashed even though it is younger than the active one. So my
RAID-1 & duplicate copies has shown their value.

> I run Parallels in one of the installations, and have all the systems 10.5 to 11.3 installed that way, (and WIndows 95, 98, 2000, and Ubuntu 2020.04).

I've got a LaCie Rugged FireWire w/ 750 GB 2.5" HD with all macOS 10.5 -
10.15 on separate partitions both in bootable form as well as the latest
installer.

> VirtualBox runs Tiger Intel and i386 Snow Leopard.

What're your settings for i386 Snow Leopard ?
I've tried to get it to work in VirtualBox, but the VM keeps crashing.
My idea was to test / install / etc MacPorts in a VBox VM and then use
lighttpd to update my 2 x 10.6 MacMini (Early 2006 & Mid 2007) servers.

My MacMini servers have had their CPUs upgraded and max RAM.
They've both 2 x external original MiniStack in AppleRAID-1.

I've also got an original MacMini G4 (mac 10.5 PPC) that I had
considered using as a firewall / proxy server; but I've had to give up
on that idea as I've recently got 1000/100 cable internet installed &
the ethernet ports simply can't handle that.

--
Bjarne D Mathiesen
Korsør ; Danmark ; Europa