state of libressl in macports

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Tue May 11 00:34:47 UTC 2021

On May 10, 2021, at 7:30 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>> Is macports as a project going to drop support for libressl? (Several linux distros, e.g. gentoo and void, did it recently).
>> It would be nice to have libressl in macports, but if the project does not have resources to support it, would it be better just to state that explicitly? It would prevent unnecessary expectations.
>
> I don't think anyone's expressed any interest in dropping libressl support before. I wasn't aware that any Linux distros had dropped support for it, but I don't know anything else about what Linux distros are doing either. Do you know why they dropped libressl?

A lot of cleanup happend on the openssl side and they're integrating changes more quickly than libressl is now. Since some software requires patches to work with libressl, it's less effort for vendors to just support openssl.

Some of the *BSDs (notably OpenBSD) are still using libressl as their default ssl implementation, though, so it doesn't seem like libressl is going to go away.

--
Daniel J. Luke