how exclude several ports from upgrade?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed May 12 00:13:21 UTC 2021

On May 11, 2021, at 14:57, Murray Eisenberg wrote:

> On 11 May2021, at 12:59 PM, Ryan Schmidt  wrote:

>>> Specifically, maxima depends on sbcl. But if I try…
>>>
>>> 	port upgrade outdated and not \(maxima or sbcl\)
>>>
>>> ...or even...
>>>
>>> 	port upgrade outdated and not \(maxima or sbcl\)
>>>
>>> ...it still tries to upgrade sbcl.
>>>
>>> What am I doing wrong?
>>
>> I believe this should work:
>>
>> sudo port upgrade outdated and not \( maxima sbcl \)
>
> No: still tries first to upgrade sbcl (and fails).
>
> And I copied & pasted the command directly from your email response into Terminal, just to be sure!

The syntax is correct. You should be able to verify this by running:

port echo outdated

Verify that the list contains maxima and sbcl. Now run:

port echo outdated and not \( maxima sbcl \)

Verify that the list does not contain maxima or sbcl anymore.

Do you perhaps have other outdated ports that depend on sbcl? These ports depend on sbcl:

QiII
acl2
cl-ppcre
fricas
maxima
slime

Or do you have outdated ports that depend on maxima? These ports depend on maxima:

imaxima
wxMaxima

You would have to exclude those from upgrading as well.

The sbcl build failure has been fixed [1] so you can sudo port sync to receive the fix and should be able to upgrade those ports now.

[1] https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commit/e4a200932dc0a44df212f5dbf4438daf1ca782f0