MacPorts 2.7.0 has been released

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed May 19 23:08:06 UTC 2021

On May 19, 2021, at 11:04, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> $ sudo port upgrade outdated
> Password:
> sqlite error: near "COLUMN": syntax error (1) while executing query: ALTER TABLE registry.ports RENAME COLUMN negated_variants TO requested_variants
>    while executing
> "registry::open $db_path"
>    (procedure "mportinit" line 712)
>    invoked from within
> "mportinit ui_options global_options global_variations"
> Error: /opt/local/bin/port: Failed to initialize MacPorts, sqlite error: near "COLUMN": syntax error (1) while executing query: ALTER TABLE registry.ports RENAME COLUMN negated_variants TO requested_variants
>

> What can I do to fix this?

Looks like support for the "ALTER TABLE ... RENAME COLUMN" syntax first appeared in SQLite 3.25.0, and MacPorts base is coded only to use the "RENAME COLUMN" syntax with SQLite 3.25.0 and later; for earlier versions, a different method is used:

https://github.com/macports/macports-base/commit/19c933969bc62ee54c86fbadaf4d98252b3df5ee#diff-780a9c883e001748860d3ed6b65f88c3be24a21feb1e71a408898f6243149b18R752-R753

What version of SQLite does your version of macOS have? Run:

/usr/bin/sqlite3 --version

I'm on macOS High Sierra with SQLite 3.19.3 and I haven't seen that problem.