Command line glob expansion broken-ish

Bill Cole macportsusers-20171215 at billmail.scconsult.com
Thu May 20 01:43:48 UTC 2021

Example:

shiny:~ root# port installed *proto
   xorg-xorgproto @2021.4_0
shiny:~ root# port installed |fgrep proto
   xorg-compositeproto @0.4.2_0 (active)
   xorg-damageproto @1.2.1_0 (active)
   xorg-fixesproto @5.0_0 (active)
   xorg-kbproto @1.0.7_0 (active)
   xorg-randrproto @1.5.0_0 (active)
   xorg-renderproto @0.11.1_0 (active)
   xorg-xineramaproto @1.2.1_0 (active)
   xorg-xorgproto @2021.4_0

I do understand the issue, I think: the glob is being expanded against
the names of ports that still exist in the current ports tree, not the
ones that have been installed but have been superseded by (in this case)
an omnibus port that won't activate because of the existing
installations.

The obvious workaround was to manually uninstall each of the zombie
ports individually. I wonder if anyone else considers this a bug?

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org
Not Currently Available For Hire