Verifying security of downloads

DaveC davec2468 at yahoo.com
Wed May 26 05:34:40 UTC 2021

I just installed Big Sur and want to install MacPorts.

Being more aware—as we all are, now—of security on my Mac, what precautions should I be taking when downloading installs such as MP, and others (some as source code to be built “domestically”).

Not having done anything about security when installing these in the past, I’m new to this. Are there checksums available for these? I don’t recall seeing any. Or other method to verify?

Thanks for any advice or pointers to resources.

Dave