provide latest OS root certificates via port?

raf macports at raf.org
Mon Nov 1 07:12:12 UTC 2021

On Sat, Oct 30, 2021 at 05:49:11AM -0700, Al Varnell via macports-users <macports-users at lists.macports.org> wrote:

> I see that I already have the latest ISRG Root X1 certificate in the
> System Roots keychain, so not sure why I would need to add it to my
> System keychain.

It doesn't sound sensible, does it? I followed those instructions,
then added it to System Roots because it hadn't changed anything,
only to discover (on 10.6) that only TLSv1.0 was supported by the
system-supplied software so things wouldn't work anyway.

I still don't understand why /usr/bin/curl isn't working for me on
10.14 but Safari is.

> And when I went to https://letsencrypt.org/certs/isrgrootx1.pem
> to download, it showed up as a .cer instead of a .pem.
>
> -Al-

That file is in PEM format.
Is it just the filename suffix that is of concern, or the format?
i.e. does it start with "-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----"?
If so, it can be renamed to isrgrootx1.pem (but it might not matter).

If you have a binary file in DER format, it can be converted to PEM format:

  openssl x509 -inform der -outform pem -in file.der -out file.pem

Or just download the PEM version. They have both available.

cheers,
raf