xorg

Bill Cole macportsusers-20171215 at billmail.scconsult.com
Fri Nov 12 17:51:39 UTC 2021

On 2021-11-11 at 18:07:45 UTC-0500 (Fri, 12 Nov 2021 00:07:45 +0100)
Tom <macpro at t-online.de>
is rumored to have said:

> Hi,
>
> when trying to run an X11 program, I get the following error message:
>
> (putty:8198): Gtk-WARNING **: 00:06:49.190: cannot open display: :0

Which means that your environment has the DISPLAY variable set to ":0"
which indicates the first display on the local physical machine, or at
least it would on most platforms that support X11. On a Mac, it's much
more complicated and your DISPLAY should be a pathname to a socket in a
subdirectory of /private/tmp/, whose use triggers the startup of the X
display server and window manager (/Applications/MacPorts/X11.app.)

> How can I fix that?

Make sure you have the xinit port installed (you should, as the
xorg-server port depends on it.) Also make sure you have logged out and
back in after installing xorg-server (and its dependencies like xinit.)

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org
Not Currently Available For Hire