xorg-server

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Fri Nov 12 20:17:24 UTC 2021

> On 12 Nov 2021, at 6:59 pm, Tom <macpro at t-online.de> wrote:
>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> when trying to run an X11 program, I get the following error message:
>>>
>>> (putty:8198): Gtk-WARNING **: 00:06:49.190: cannot open display: :0
>>>
>>> How can I fix that?
>>
>> Assuming you are running Mac OS X 10.5 or later:
>>
>> Check your .zprofile or .profile or .bash_profile for a line like:
>>
>> DISPLAY=:0
>>
>> Delete it.
>>
>> The MacPorts 2.6.4 installer for macOS 11 erroneously added this line. This problem has been fixed in newer versions of the MacPorts installer but any erroneous DISPLAY line added by the 2.6.4 installer needs to be removed manually.
>
> Now xorg-server is starting and quiting. The app does not appear.
> What could be the problem?

Impossible to say without more data.

Do you have any crash logs in Console ? Any other messages ?

What application are you running ? Try install a simple one like xclock and see if that works ?

Have you tired removing then reinstalling the xorg-server port ?

Are you actually using the xorg-server X11 server or do you perhaps have another one installed instead ?

Have you logged out and back in again, as required by the xorg-server instalation ?

Chris