libsdl2 port question

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Nov 14 22:18:40 UTC 2021

On Nov 14, 2021, at 04:53, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> I was just curious: why does the libsdl2 port which is at version 2.0.16 install 2.0.0 libraries? How does that happen? Just learning.

There is no reason why the version of a port needs to have any relationship whatsoever with the version of the library(ies) that port installs.

For example, the libiconv port, version 1.16, installs a libiconv.dylib library having major version 2 and minor version 9.1.0.

If you have questions about why the versioning of a particular library is the way that it is, you should ask the developers of that library.