Does MacPorts depend on Spotlight?

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Wed Nov 17 21:37:17 UTC 2021

On Wed, 17 Nov 2021, Bill Cole wrote:

>> Where are all these obscure commands documented?
>
> /usr/share/man/man1/ and /usr/share/man/man8/ mostly...

Perhaps I should've expressed it better :-)

I've found all sorts of obscure commands (such as "security" and the
aforementioned "mdutil") mentioned on this list; now, how am I supposed to
know that they existed in the first place?  I cannot find any sign of an
admin guide, and this 2nd-hand MacPro did not come with media.

It seems that I have to look at all the manfiles and wonder what they
do...

> FWIW, 'apropos spotlight' will tell you that mdutil and mddiagnose
> exist.

Sure, but my query was more of a general nature.

-- Dave