Does MacPorts depend on Spotlight?

Peter Hancock hancock at fastmail.fm
Wed Nov 17 21:37:42 UTC 2021

On 17/11/2021 20:06, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2021, Peter Hancock wrote:
>
>> On Catalina, for me the command "sudo mdutil -i off /opt/local/var/macports"
>> evokes:
>
> [...]
>
> Where are all these obscure commands documented?

I came across them from googled-up places like stack-exchange and whatnot.
Wondering what mdutil did, I tried mdutil --help.

That produces an almost perfectly inscrutable parody of "help",
as does man mdutil, etc.

I would *not* recommend experimenting with the various options of mdutil,
unless extravagently backed-up.
On my system, some rash command involving the "-E" option immediately blew
away the bar at the screen-top, plus any access by the keyboard, mouse, or ethernet. Thinking it
might actually be doing something, I went to bed. In the morning it was the
same, so with crossed fingers, I cycled the power. By a blessed miracle
it rebooted into my usual system.

This doesn't have anything much to do with macports itself, but
I think I have managed (with the magic keystroke) to stop Spotlight from indexing
/opt/local/var/macports