Does MacPorts depend on Spotlight?

raf macports at raf.org
Wed Nov 17 23:17:56 UTC 2021

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 08:37:17AM +1100, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Nov 2021, Bill Cole wrote:
>
> > > Where are all these obscure commands documented?
> >
> > /usr/share/man/man1/ and /usr/share/man/man8/ mostly...
>
> Perhaps I should've expressed it better :-)
>
> I've found all sorts of obscure commands (such as "security" and the
> aforementioned "mdutil") mentioned on this list; now, how am I supposed to
> know that they existed in the first place?  I cannot find any sign of an
> admin guide, and this 2nd-hand MacPro did not come with media.
>
> It seems that I have to look at all the manfiles and wonder what they do...
>
> > FWIW, 'apropos spotlight' will tell you that mdutil and mddiagnose
> > exist.
>
> Sure, but my query was more of a general nature.
>
> -- Dave

That's a good question. I have no idea either. I came
across the "security" tool as a result of searching how
to deal with the expired certificate (i.e. cargo culting).
I did get an O'Reilly book once called "Mac OS X Tiger
for Unix Geeks" but never got around to reading it.
There's also:

  Mac OS X For Unix Geeks, 4th Edition (2008)
  MAC OS X UNIX Toolbox: 1000+ Commands for the Mac OS X (2009)
  Learning Unix for OS X, 2nd Edition (2016)
  Take Control of the Mac Command Line with Terminal, 3rd Edition (2021)

I have no idea what they cover.

cheers,
raf