What is up with perl5.26 on Snow Leo?

Uli Wienands wienands at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 01:45:51 UTC 2021

A number of ports apparently want to install perl5.26. In this specific
case it is fricas. For reasons I cannot fathom prl5.26 fails during the
destroot phase on my system (SL, 10.6.8).

So I try installing perl5.26 by itself; it fails with a message that
"clang-3.7" cannot be updated.
I try updating clang-3.7; it fails with (you guessed it) a dependency on
perl5.26 not updating.
I upgrade clang-3.7 with the -n option, and that seems to work. But
perl5.26 still refuses to update.
Trying to update perl5.26 with the -n option: no luck either. It always
fails in the destroot phase. Trying an extra cleean beforehand also does
not help.

Attached is the main log for the attempt to install perl5.26 with the -n
option.

The fricas port incidentally installed with the -n option just fine
using whichever version of Perl I have, which actually seems to be perl
5, version 26, subversion 3.

So, can someone shed light on this?

Thanks much,

Uli