ruby_select is broken

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Oct 2 08:29:23 UTC 2021

On Sep 25, 2021, at 23:14, Ian Wadham wrote:

> MacPorts contains packages of many versions of Ruby, similarly to the Python and Perl groups, but the corresponding “ruby_select” port does not automatically create the links needed to access commands “ruby”, “gem” etc. I was able to get around this by using “sudo port select” manually, but would it be possible for someone to fix “ruby_select” so that the ports “ruby$n” work properly “out of the box".

I don't understand what you mean. ruby_select (and all _select ports) are helper infrastructure so that "port select" works. Using "port select" is not a workaround; it is *the* way to select a particular version of a set of ports.

> Also, the port actually called “ruby” is very old (version 1.8.7) and “port notes ruby” deprecates it. Should it be removed from MacPorts?

If nobody needs it, I suppose it could be removed. Do you know that nobody needs it? I don't know that.

> Or reincarnated as “ruby18”, dropping “ruby186” as well?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it?