Home brew recipes for MacPorts

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Oct 3 03:38:45 UTC 2021

On Oct 2, 2021, at 20:11, André-John Mas wrote:

> Given a number of projects are only available for Homebrew, or only up to date for Homebrew, has any looked at a process for adapting a Homebrew recipe to a MacPorts one? Something like ‘port brew <project>’? I haven’t thought of all the implications, but I am throwing this out there to see what the thoughts are?

Probably not worth pursuing. Both are package managers but they go about things in fundamentally different ways. If something was trivial to add to Homebrew, it will probably be trivial to add to MacPorts so an automated conversion would not save much time. If it was complex to add to Homebrew, it will probably be complex to add to MacPorts and will require manual intervention anyway.

It is certainly worth pursuing adding software to MacPorts that users would find useful, whether or not it is in another package manager. Contributions are welcome.