What is the best way of installing Python's scientific libraries in MacPorts?

Artemio González López artemiog at mac.com
Sun Oct 3 21:05:23 UTC 2021

I have installed the python37 port, and would like to install the scientific libraries numpy, scipy, and matplotlib, and also jupyter. I installed by hand the ports

py-numpy, py-scipy, py-matplotlib, py-jupyter

(without specifying a version), and port installed python39, py39-jupyter and the 3.7 versions of all of the above packages. However, when I launched jupyter notebook and tried to run one of my notebooks it couldn’t find any of the scientific libraries I had installed. I then deactivated python39 and py39-jupyter, and installed py37-jupyter. It gave me numerous errors complaining that I had to activate by hand several ports (liek, e.g., sudo port -f activate py37-ipython), but in the end was built. However, when I now launch jupyter notebook I get a message complaining that no kernels where found, and when I run my notebook the scientific libraries aren’t found. I would greatly appreciate any help as to how to fix the mess I probably created, so that I could use python's scientific libraries with python’s MacPorts (instead of using, say, miniconda).

Sorry for my clumsiness, and thank you all in advance!

Artemio

Artemio Gonzalez Lopez
artemiog at mac.com <mailto:artemiog at mac.com>