What is the best way of installing Python's scientific libraries in MacPorts?

Artemio González López artemiog at mac.com
Mon Oct 4 20:18:55 UTC 2021

> On Oct 4, 2021, at 4:24 PM, Giuseppe 'ferdy' Miceli <ferdy at ferdy.it <mailto:ferdy at ferdy.it>> wrote:
>
> ciao artemio,
>
>> Hi, Giuseppe,
>
> <omissis>
>
>> So my questions are:
>>
>> 1. Should I activate python39 and decativate python37 before installing the 3.9 versions fo numpy, scipy and matplotlib?
>
> I would daresay to remove everything (—force option would be handy) and then start over again from scratch :-)
>
>> Can both be active at the same time after that, or should I keep 3.7 inactive for good (or unistall it)?
>
> you can have python37 and python39 both installed and active and choose with port select which one to use as python3 default version.
>
> wabi:macports-ports admin$ port installed python3\*
> The following ports are currently installed:
>   python3_select @0.0_2 (active)
>   python37 @3.7.12_0+optimizations (active)
>   python39 @3.9.7_0+optimizations (active)
> wabi:macports-ports admin$ port select --list python3
> Available versions for python3:
> 	none
> 	python37
> 	python38-apple
> 	python39 (active)
> wabi:macports-ports admin$
>
> nevertheless imho, being your first try with macports, i would suggest to choose one version and have it working with a specific version.
> you will always have time to experimenting with more than one version.
>
>> 2. Should I install (say) py-numpy or more specifically py39-numpy?
>
> from macports perspective that is the same port (more specifically py39-numpy is a subport of py-numpy.
> thus if you install py-numpy you shall end up with py39-numpy.
>
>> 3. Is it OK if the 3.7 versions of the py-* package are active throughout this installation process (and afterwards), or should I also deactivate them?
>
> as i mentioned before i would deactivate/uninstall the python37 versions just to be double sure.
>
>> 4. Will "jupyter notebook” automatically find the scientific libraries I’m going to install, or should I do something else (like, e.g., create an environment)?
>
> apologies, on this one i have to surrender since in this case it’s me not coming from math :-)
>
> my experience with macports makes me think it should work out of the box, yet that is really above my paygrade. sorry
>
>> Again, I apologize for my ignorance (I’m coming from Mathematica, but I would like to try python out because many of my colleagues now use it).
>
> absolutely no need to apologize! i am sure if i were coming with silly questions on math you would do your best to help me out ;-)
>
> cheers,
>> ferdy

Ciao Giuseppe,

I am happy to report that after following your advice everything worked as advertised. I only experienced a very minor glitch, namely that for some reason (probably a minor bug?) the /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Versions/3.9/bin directory where jupyter resides is not in the $PATH, so you must add it by hand if you want to invoke (say) jupyter with just its name.

Thanks a lot for your patience and help!

Artemio

Artemio Gonzalez Lopez
artemiog at mac.com <mailto:artemiog at mac.com>