Hello and my first question (regarding CMAKE_OSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Oct 5 23:16:27 UTC 2021

On Oct 5, 2021, at 18:09, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> By default MacPorts fetches binaries for ports when it can. Those binaries were built with default deployment target and SDK settings. If you are trying to create a MacPorts installation using different settings for those values, you should uninstall all ports and, before installing any ports, disable the use of binaries by setting "buildfromsource always" in macports.conf.
>
> You may want to leave your default prefix /opt/local untouched so that it builds with default settings and receives binaries, and set up a second MacPorts prefix somewhere else, such as /opt/local10.13. That way you remember that you've given /opt/local10.13 special settings, and you retain /opt/local and are still able to receive binaries when installing ports that are unrelated to your 10.13 deployment target project.

If you use a separate prefix for this, you don't need to add "buildfromsource always" to macports.conf since MacPorts knows its binaries are only for /opt/local. But you should add "startupitem_install no" so that the ports you install in the separate prefix don't try to install startup items (launchd plists) that would conflict with those you might want to install in the main prefix.

> Another option if you are just looking for binaries pre-built for specific OS versions is to download them from our packages server, assuming binaries are available. For example, the latest openssl we compiled for macOS 10.13 is currently http://packages.macports.org/openssl/openssl-1.1.1l_1.darwin_17.x86_64.tbz2

And since these packages were built directly on those OS versions, without the need to use a non-default deployment target or sdk, they would not be subject to any bugs that might exist in ports not respecting non-default deployment targets or sdks.