Error: Failed to build librsvg: command execution failed

Christopher Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Wed Oct 13 13:28:48 UTC 2021

> On 13 Oct 2021, at 1:54 pm, Michael Newman <mgnewman at mac.com> wrote:
>
>> On Oct 13, 2021, at 18:12, Lenore Horner <lenorehorner at sbcglobal.net <mailto:lenorehorner at sbcglobal.net>> wrote:
>>
>> Do you have /opt/local/bin/clang-mp-11?
>
> Axe:~ mnewman$ ls /opt/local/bin/clang-mp-11
> ls: /opt/local/bin/clang-mp-11: No such file or directory
>

>> On Oct 13, 2021, at 19:31, Christopher Jones <jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk <mailto:jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk>> wrote:
>>
>> oh, and to be sure please first run `sudo port sync` t make sure your ports are fully up to date….
>
> Axe:~ mnewman$ sudo port sync
> Password:
> --->  Updating the ports tree
> Error: Synchronization of the local ports tree failed doing rsync
> port sync failed: Synchronization of 1 source failed

Maybe not an issue here, but the above is a problem I don’t personally see so you should look into it...

>> On Oct 13, 2021, at 19:30, Christopher Jones <jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk <mailto:jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk>> wrote:
>>
>> Please run `port info librsvg rust` and post what that returns.
>
> Axe:~ mnewman$ port info librsvg rust
> librsvg @2.52.1_1 (graphics, gnome)
> Variants:             quartz, universal, x11

> Homepage:             https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/LibRsvg <https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/LibRsvg>
>
> Extract Dependencies: xz
> Build Dependencies:   pkgconfig, rust, cargo
> Library Dependencies: glib2, cairo, pango, gdk-pixbuf2, libxml2, vala,
>                       gobject-introspection
> Platforms:            darwin
> License:              (GPL-2+ or LGPL-2+)
> Maintainers:          Email: devans at macports.org <mailto:devans at macports.org>, GitHub: dbevans
>                       Email: mascguy at macports.org <mailto:mascguy at macports.org>, GitHub: mascguy
>                       Policy: openmaintainer
> --
> rust @1.55.0_3 (lang, devel)
> Sub-ports:            rust-compiler-wrap, rust-src

>                       language. It visually resembles the C language family, but
>                       differs significantly in syntactic and semantic details.
>                       Its design is oriented toward concerns of "programming in
>                       the large", that is, of creating and maintaining
>                       boundaries -- both abstract and operational -- that
>                       preserve large-system integrity, availability and
>                       concurrency.
> Homepage:             https://www.rust-lang.org <https://www.rust-lang.org/>
>
> Build Dependencies:   git, cmake, cctools, python39, openssl, pkgconfig, ninja,
>                       gmake
> Library Dependencies: libffi, libgit2, openssl
> Platforms:            darwin
> License:              (MIT or Apache-2) and BSD and zlib and NCSA and Permissive
> Maintainers:          Email: g5pw at macports.org <mailto:g5pw at macports.org>, GitHub: g5pw
>                       Email: herby.gillot at gmail.com <mailto:herby.gillot at gmail.com>, GitHub: herbygillot
>                       Policy: openmaintainer

right, the above is what I expected.

I can reproduce here on my 10.13 machine using the binary tarballs, and in fact if I look at the build logs for those tarballs

https://build.macports.org/builders/ports-10.13_x86_64-builder/builds/124766/steps/install-port/logs/stdio/text <https://build.macports.org/builders/ports-10.13_x86_64-builder/builds/124766/steps/install-port/logs/stdio/text>

you can see the build was indeed configured to use macports clang-11, which is why its needed at runtime with rustc.

If though I start a new build by hand, it doesn’t use macports clang 11 and instead uses Xcode clang (the norm on  ’newer’ systems).

I don’t know why, but it seems then there is a mis-match between what the port now thinks it needs, and what was used for the last binary tarball. I’ll commit a rev-bump just to trigger a rebuild and hopefully that will fix things.

In the meantime if you are in a hurry installing macports clang 11 should also fix things.

Chris