clang config issue

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Oct 27 18:58:51 UTC 2021

On Oct 27, 2021, at 13:23, William Parducci wrote:

> I’m tried to install nmap on a clean install of macports in Big Sur. When it got to configuring clang it is threw this error:
>

> configure:2838: /usr/bin/clang -qversion >&5
> clang: error: unknown argument '-qversion', did you mean '--version’?

This error is not a problem. A configure script's purpose is, among other things, to run various commands with various arguments to determine which of them work on your system. Here, it has determined that -qversion is not a valid flag for your compiler. That's fine and normal on macOS.

> clang: error: invalid version number in 'MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=11.0’
> […]
> configure:2940: error: C compiler cannot create executables

This is the real problem. It means that your command line tools are too old for macOS 11. Install a compatible version of the command line tools. There is a bug in recent macOS which does not present updates of the command line tools to you in Software Update, so you must seek out and install those updates manually when they're available.