provide latest OS root certificates via port?

Michael keybounce at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 16:02:34 UTC 2021

As a user who spent a week trying to figure out what was going on with more and more sites not working, making less of the information out there available to figure out how to solve the expired cert, it was really painful to find out that this was "known in advance", and worse, this implies that ANY "modern", "secure" OS is an inherent time-death, for no good reason.

Having an easy way to update certs would be wonderful.
Finding out the hard way that not only did I need to put the DST root in, but that in the next year there's a couple more that will expire, when this was something that could have, and should have, been made very public in advance, was painful.

Discovering the *harder* way that adding a root key to your personal account is not the same as adding it system wide, meaning that the first information I got wasn't even accurate, only made things worse -- I could browse the web just fine, but stuff running as root from launchd was using a different set of certs that did not include this.

Some sort of "Warning! This system is considered extremely vulnerable" is fine. But we see ATM's running windows XP, voting machines running Vista, etc. Old systems being used past their expiration date is normal.

Or do you think that 50 year old FORTRAN programs on 370 systems should be retired and the entire financial system forced to rewrite code used all around the world?

>  Sometimes, one has to work with what one has.

Exactly.