provide latest OS root certificates via port?

Bill Cole macportsusers-20171215 at billmail.scconsult.com
Fri Oct 29 16:14:37 UTC 2021

On 2021-10-29 at 11:17:52 UTC-0400 (Fri, 29 Oct 2021 11:17:52 -0400
(EDT))
Richard Bonomo TDS personal <bonomo at tds.net>
is rumored to have said:

> I don't know what to think about MacPorts, specifically, providing
> new certificates, but, pertaining to some of the arguments presented
> against doing this on old Macs generally, it must be kept in mind
> that some of us --
> including yours truly --
> have Apple computers that
> CANNOT use newer operating systems or browsers.  Sometimes, one has
> to work with what one has.

Sure, and I am not saying that MP should abandon older systems or that
you and I and everyone else still running older systems is doing
anything "wrong" but simply that it is risky and cannot be safe without
the recognition that you have to understand and manage your risks
without vendor support.

Some people have expressed more judgmental views here in the past,
arguing that older Macs should be relegated to running other, free OSs
that have active security maintenance and suggesting that MP deprecate
MacOS versions no longer supported by Apple. I'm NOT saying that, but
rather that users should understand their risks and MP should not take
on the doomed task of de facto trying to maintain OS versions which are
by any reasonable definition obsolete. The norm for MP has been to offer
parallel tools to those in the OS (e.g. current packages that match what
Apple used to include in Server) and leave the issue of whether & how to
user them to actually replace Apple's tools up to the user.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org
Not Currently Available For Hire