do I have to reinstall my ports after upgrading to Monterey?

Artemio González López artemiog at mac.com
Sun Oct 31 22:53:51 UTC 2021

> On 31 Oct 2021, at 16:46, Christopher Jones <jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>

> Yes you do. You should always follow the migration instructions under
>
> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration <https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration>
>
> Chris
>
>> On 31 Oct 2021, at 3:45 pm, Artemio González López via macports-users <macports-users at lists.macports.org <mailto:macports-users at lists.macports.org>> wrote:
>>
>> I just installed macOS 12.0.1 on an M1 MacBook Pro 13” from last year, and I was wondering if it’s necessary to reinstall all my ports (which I installed under Big Sur) after the update (they seem to be running just fine).
>>
>> Thanks a lot in advance,
>>
>> Artemio
>>

>> Artemio Gonzalez Lopez
>> artemiog at mac.com <mailto:artemiog at mac.com>

Hi, Chris,

Thanks a lot for your (almost instantaneous!) answer. I followed your advised and proceeded to migrate my MacPorts installation to macOS 12. I first upgraded to Xcode 13.1, and downloaded (from the Developer site) and installed the 13.1 Command Tools, and then followed all the steps in the migration instructions. The only non-standard thing I did was to change macports.conf the build_arch to arm64 by adding the following line to it:

build_arch              arm64

 However, the last command (sudo ./restore_ports.tcl myports.txt) ended with the following error:

--->  Building libgcc11
Error: Failed to build libgcc11: command execution failed
Error: See /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_lang_gcc11/libgcc11/main.log for details.
--->  Computing dependencies for py39-pyqt5
--->  Dependencies to be installed: qt5 qt5-qt3d qt5-qtbase qt5-qtdeclarative qt5-qtsvg qt5-qtgamepad qt5-qtimageformats qt5-qtconnectivity qt5-qtgraphicaleffects qt5-qtlocation qt5-qtquickcontrols qt5-qtquickcontrols2 qt5-qtserialport qt5-qtmacextras qt5-qtmultimedia qt5-qtnetworkauth qt5-qtremoteobjects qt5-qtscxml qt5-qtsensors qt5-qtserialbus qt5-qtspeech qt5-qttools qt5-qttranslations qt5-qtwebchannel qt5-qtwebsockets qt5-qtxmlpatterns qt5-sqlite-plugin qt5-qtscript
Warning: The macOS 12 SDK does not appear to be installed. Ports may not build correctly.
Warning: You can install it as part of the Xcode Command Line Tools package by running `xcode-select --install'.
--->  Fetching archive for qt5-qtbase
--->  Attempting to fetch qt5-qtbase-5.15.2_2+openssl.darwin_21.arm64.tbz2 from https://packages.macports.org/qt5-qtbase <https://packages.macports.org/qt5-qtbase>
--->  Attempting to fetch qt5-qtbase-5.15.2_2+openssl.darwin_21.arm64.tbz2 from https://fra.de.packages.macports.org/qt5-qtbase <https://fra.de.packages.macports.org/qt5-qtbase>
--->  Attempting to fetch qt5-qtbase-5.15.2_2+openssl.darwin_21.arm64.tbz2 from https://mse.uk.packages.macports.org/qt5-qtbase <https://mse.uk.packages.macports.org/qt5-qtbase>
--->  Configuring qt5-qtbase
Error: Failed to configure qt5-qtbase: configure failure: command execution failed
Error: See /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_aqua_qt5/qt5-qtbase/main.log for details.

In fact, going through the command output in the Terminal window I found that the first warning about the macOS 12 SDK was here:

--->  Cleaning py39-widgetsnbextension
Warning: The macOS 12 SDK does not appear to be installed. Ports may not build correctly.
Warning: You can install it as part of the Xcode Command Line Tools package by running `xcode-select --install'.
--->  Computing dependencies for qt5-qtbase

I also found quite a few warnings to the effect that libgcc11 had failed to build before the last one.

I’m not sure what to do at this point. In particular:

1. Is there an easy check which ones of my previously installed ports weren’t installed?

2. Why was port complaining that the macOS 12 SDK wasn’t installed, if I did install the 13.1 command line tools manually (from a package)?

3. Why did libgcc11 failed to build, and how could that be fixed?

3. What should I do to restore my previous installation (i.e., should I start from scratch or could I just install the ports that weren’t installed in the first run, provided I find out which ones were they)?

Thanks in advance,