Is there a binary editor for MacPorts?

raf macports at raf.org
Wed Sep 22 23:58:36 UTC 2021

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 07:26:31AM +1000, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:

> I can see heaps of 3rd-party stuff out there, but is there an "official"
> one?
>
> I have a file with some binary stuff in it (8-bit accents, perhaps?) and
> "vi" just spits the dummy at that point and I want to search down further.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -- Dave

You could try vim. It handles binary files.
You might want to do this in vim before opening the file:

  :setlocal binary

But that should only be needed for real binary files,
not just files with some 8-bit characters. For files
in utf8 or unicode, it usually just autodetects that.
For other 8-bit character sets, it's best if you tell
vim what character set it is.

But /usr/bin/vi on macOS is actually an old vim, but
maybe it's in an unhelpfully strict vi-compatibility
mode when run as "vi" rather than "vim".

cheers,
raf